Monday, May 30, 2011

Calendar Wall Linky Party

Little Miss Kindergarten is hosting a linky party for sharing your Calendar Walls.

 
Posted by Picasa


This past school year (2010-2011) I set up 2 classrooms. I started teaching 1st grade at one school and 5 days into the school year I was displaced. I had to switch schools and grade levels. I ended up teaching Kindergarten at a different school in my district (which I LOVE).

Pictures 1 and 2 show my calendar area in my Kindergarten classroom. I have a pocket chart calendar, it's wonderful and easy to use. I use calendar cover-ups from Creative Teaching Press. They are bright, colorful and create a different pattern for each month. The calendar set I have came with weather cards, and I found a "Today Is_______" set at the Dollar Tree.

We start off Calendar by singing our "Days of the Week" song and "Macarena Months" (both by Dr. Jean), then I pull out name sticks to choose kiddos to come up and help. The helpers get to do jobs like tell us what number comes next, what the pattern is, pick actions to show the pattern, fix the days of the week, choose the type of voice we will say the date in etc. We also count the number of days we have been in school by adding a number to our number line, a straw to our place value pockets, tally marks, and money. We also dance, sing and count by 1's, 5's, 10's and 2's.

Picture 3 shows my calendar area in my 1st grade room. We had the same basic routine, except the kiddos ran calendar, we also did "number collections" (different ways to make the date), and rolled (giant) dice to create number sentences.

Next year I'm hoping to take our different Math Standards and incorporate one activity a month with things like guessing the shape, naming coins, solving and creating number sentences.

I can't wait to see what everyone else does!

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about getting the calendar pattern things from Creative Teaching Press (after you so kindly told me about them!), so I'm happy to see that they work for you! Maybe I will buy those then!!

    Magnificent Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Thanks so much for sharing! Let's keep in touch!

    www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete